Wednesday 4 May 2011

Metro performance sinks to new lows!

It's early in the month, but so far I have made 5 journeys with Metro in May - and 3 of them have been more than 5 minutes late.  In Metro performance terms, that's a punctuality performance of 40%!  To make matters worse, two particular services were late by 17 minutes and 9 minutes. 

Across just 5 journeys in May, Metro has run 38 minutes late.  My total lateness across all journeys recorded since 09/03/2011 has blown out to 250 minutes!

This morning was almost a repeat of the shocker on Monday.  The 8:08 Sandringham to city service was running about 10 minutes late.  It was packed, and I knew that the train behind was only a few minutes away, so I waited.  Late and crowded trains are horrible, so I will usually opt to avoid them if I can.  And then, the 8:17 service managed to run 9 minutes late.  Great.

There would have been a lot of commuters again left stranded at stations between Elsternwick and South Yarra.  They wouldn't have made it onto the 8:08 service (without dragging somebody off the train) and then would have caught the delayed 8:17 service - arriving almost 20 minutes late.  I feel really quite sorry for these commuters - they live close to the city, but many days, thanks to crap Metro performance, they have a long commute.

I'll publish a detailed performance update soon.  With over 50 observations now, it is clear that Metro's performance statistics are of little relevance to rush hour commuters.

Good luck with your commuting.  You'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment